Vendor License

Vendor’s licenses are used for the collection of state sales tax.

There are two types of vendor’s licenses as of September 1, 2012: County and Transient. A County Vendor’s license is required for selling taxable goods or services at a fixed location of business. A Transient Vendor’s license is for the sale of goods at various shows and markets throughout the state of Ohio.

Define a “fixed location”.
A fixed location is if the same person conducted business at the place of continuously for more than six months or occupied the premises as the person’s permanent residence for more than six months.

What license is required for internet sales?
If the taxpayer maintains one centralized location from which sales are made, a County Vendor’s license should be obtained. The different county rates would be charged and reported separately on the County Vendor’s license.

Where do I get a Vendor’s license?
The Auditor’s Office issues only the County Vendor’s license for business located at a fixed location within Miami County. The County Vendor’s license can be obtained at the Miami County Auditor’s Office at 201 W. Main St., Troy, OH 45373. You can also use the Vendor’s Application link below to fill out the application and either bring or mail it to our office with a check or cash for $25.00, which is a one-time fee as long as your business stays within the county. The Auditor’s Office can be reached regarding County Vendor’s licenses at (937) 440-5944.

Transient Vendor’s Licenses are also $25.00 and are issued by the State of Ohio Department of Taxation. They are available only online or by calling 1-888-405-4089. To get a form or file online, go to:http://www.tax.ohio.gov/sales_and_use.aspx or http://www.tax.ohio.gov/portals/0/forms/sales_and_use/applications-2010/ST_ST1_Disclaimer.pdf